The Metropolitan Museum of Art is looking for Associate Curator, Architecture & DesignFriday, November 9th, 2012 Categories: Job Openings, Updates
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, one of the world’s finest museums, seeks a specialist in Architecture & Design for the Modern & Contemporary Department. The Associate Curator will participate in research, development and active management of the Modern and Contemporary collection and the Breuer project; initiation of collection displays, major special exhibitions, publications and interpretation; and participation in all activities of the Department.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Participation in review of architecture, design and other related aspects of the collection;
- Participation in devising departmental collection and research strategies, and delivering them;
- Initiation and organization of collection displays and special exhibitions including research, catalog entries, other texts and database maintenance for Museum programs and the Breuer project;
- Fostering and maintaining good working relationships with donors, patrons, collectors, colleagues from other international institutions, the scholarly community, dealers, and other individuals involved with the interests of the Museum;
- Author and essayist for general and specialized publications and other content, printed and online;
- Answering correspondence relating to Collection; assisting the public and visiting scholars;
- Contribution to public programs (Learning, Volunteers, and so on);
- Interaction with potential sponsors; fundraising as appropriate;
- Involvement with planning programs for Modern & Contemporary Friends’ groups.
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum four years’ experience in a museum or academic institution;
- Demonstrated engagement with architectural, design and artistic practice across the world;
- Demonstrated scholarly achievement including evidence of original research;
- Demonstrated commitment to international engagement and learning;
- Initiated and executed major contemporary loan exhibitions with broad international scope;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with artists, museum colleagues, donors and general public;
- Ability to create and maintain precise and widely researched records.
Knowledge and Education:
- PhD (or equivalent) in history of art;
- Deep expertise in twentieth and twenty-first century architecture, design and art;
- Extensive background in international modern and contemporary culture;
- Good written and spoken English;
- Proficiency in one non-English language preferred.
Application deadline: November 26, 2012, 10am. Interview Date: December 7, 2012
The Associate Curator for Architecture & Design for the Modern & Contemporary Department is full-time and includes full benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Send cover letter, indicating position of interest, resume, and salary history to: as a Word attachment only with "Assoc Curator/Architecture & Design" in the subject line. For more information visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art.