FRESH MILK Open Call for Local ResidenciesTuesday, January 15th, 2013 Categories: ARC Partners, Art Residencies, Updates
The Fresh Milk Art Platform Inc. is a Caribbean non-profit, artist-led, inter-disciplinary organization that supports creatives and promotes wise social, economic, and environmental stewardship through creative engagement with society and by cultivating excellence in the arts.
FRESH MILK was founded in 2011 in response to a need for artistic engagement amongst contemporary practitioners living and working in Barbados, especially young emerging artists. It provides a space to support production of artwork, as well as mitigate the high attrition rate of Fine Arts graduates on the island by encouraging them to continue their practice beyond tertiary education. Barbadian artists need a space to create, interact, and learn with local and regional peers. FRESH MILK fills that void.
FRESH MILK’s residency programme was launched in 2012, beginning with a short but successful 5 day local residency in March, and has since included projects with artists who have been based abroad, visiting from overseas and from other Caribbean islands. The current call is once again for local participants, and will be for the period of one month for each resident.
Visual artists working in a variety of disciplines (sculpture, painting, drawing, performance, photography, new media, interdisciplinary) are invited to apply. Four artists will be selected, who can work individually or alongside one of the other participants in the studio space. This call may be of particular interest to artists wishing to work outdoors or with the environment, as Fresh Milk is located on a 120 acre functioning dairy farm, and the immediate environs around the studio are available as working space.
Duration of Residency: 4 weeks
FRESH MILK will provide:
- A BBD $1,000.00 stipend per artist
- Wireless internet
- A 15.5 x 12.5 ft studio space (maximum capacity 2)
- A wide expanse of rural land
- Access to the Colleen Lewis Reading Room on site
- Promotion and hosting of a public event showcasing the outcome of the residency
- Artists must be residents of Barbados
Expectations of the Artist:
- Artists must come out to the studio a minimum of four days per week
- Artists must supply their own materials and equipment
- Artists must complete some form of public outreach in relation to the work created during the residency (artist talk/presentation, workshop, exhibition, etc.)
- Artists will be required to keep a weekly blog of their activities and processes, and submit a report to FRESH MILK at the conclusion of the residency
To be considered, please submit the following to with the subject line ‘Local Residency Proposal’:
- The completed application form which can be downloaded here (includes applicant’s contact information, an artist statement, and full residency proposal)
- An up to date Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A numbered portfolio of 5-10 images (or 2-3 short videos as the case may be) of recent work
- An index of the portfolio pieces in numerical order, with the title, medium and date listed
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for submission is February 8th, 2013. Residency dates will be negotiated with the artists after the residents have been selected.