Staff Picks: 21 Caribbean artists you should be following on tumblrWednesday, August 21st, 2013 Categories: Editor's pick, Features, Updates
Over the past year, many artists have found themselves on tumblr, and are using it as an active social platform to engage with their influences while also showing works in progress, points of experimentation and the development of ongoing portfolios. Today we have compiled a collection of 21 Caribbean artists and cultural practitioners within our network who have followed suit.
Gain insight into these artists’ lives, studio spaces and experiences while gaining a voyeuristic glimpse of the artist/thinker/maker behind the work. The collection we hope will be the start of a larger overview, which reveals a true look at the dynamic creators that fill our daily lives with new and thoughtful images, ideas and things to consider.
Here are our choices, tell us your favourite.
1. Rodell Warner: http://toomucheyes.tumblr.com/
Warner presents a collection of images, gifs and videos of and about consciousness and daily life in Trinidad & Tobago.
2. Ewan Atkinson: - http://theneighbourhoodreport.tumblr.com/
Atkinson has been developing his neighbourhood report for the last year and sees it as a compendium of esoterica presented by various denizens.
3. Gerrel Saunders: http://gaksdesigns.tumblr.com/
Fresh inspiration for young illustrators.
4. Taj Francis: http://tajfrancis.tumblr.com/
The work and process behind this awesome Jamaican illustrator.
5. Versia Harris: http://versiaabeda.tumblr.com/
Simply beautiful, delicate and meticulous work by one of the foremost emerging artists from Barbados.
6. Deborah Anzinger: http://deborahanzinger.tumblr.com/
Deborah’s updates give us great insight into a studio practice rampant with play and experimentation.
7. Mark King: http://markings.tumblr.com/
Mark King’s markings says it all.
8. Annie Paul: http://anniepaul.tumblr.com/
The vociferous critic and cultural charmer shares provocative ideas on the melting pot of creativity coming out of Jamaica and the global Caribbean.
9. Tanya Marie Williams: http://designeronanisland.tumblr.com/
Visual scrapbook of a Trinidadian graphic designer.
10. Adele Todd: http://sexypinkon.tumblr.com/
We love this blog. She’s tapped into everything art related going on in the region. If you end up here then you’re doing something very right.
11. Luis Vasquez La Roche and Alicia Milne: http://pinkyandemigrante.tumblr.com/
Powerhouse duo street artists illustrating why collaboration is key.
12. Brianna McCarthy: http://briannamccarthy.tumblr.com/
What more can we say about Brianna’s work and her growing following? The artist has garnered critical social support and is one of the popular artists working in the Anglophone Caribbean.
13. Kibwe Brathwaite: http://kibwebrathwaite.tumblr.com
Snippets of life in the Caribbean through an extraordinary eye. Kibwe shares his influences on being an emerging designer and photographer.
14. Sheena Rose: http://sroseart.tumblr.com/
The art and life of an ambitious Barbadian artist.
15. Radcliffe Roye - http://ruddyroye.tumblr.com/
Since making his mark on the first issue of ARC Magazine in Jan 2011, Radcliffe Roye has been engaging with numerous social platforms and presenting very personal and political ideas about his life and experiences. His images are a revelation, sink your mind into them.
16. Kwesi Abbensetts: http://kwesiabbensetts.tumblr.com/
Stylish and Edgy photography
17. Gabriel Ramos: http://artistgabrielramos.tumblr.com/
Ramos presents a compendium of portfolios that influence his creations, which links back to his current work in a charming and clever way.
18.Marlon James: http://theothermjames.tumblr.com/
From the latest editorial fashion shoot to wanderings and documenting new spaces, James’ POV will give you deep insight into the creative climate of Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica.
19. Piaget Moss: http://piagetm.tumblr.com/
A young Bahamian artist blazing a trail.
20. Wayne Lawrence: http://waynelawrence.tumblr.com/
St. Kitts & Nevis- Lawrence’s first monograph ‘Orchard Beach’ will be out this Fall and we cant wait to get our hands on it. See the series and its development here.
21. Sofia Maldonado: http://sofiamaldo.tumblr.com/
Puerto Rican, US based artist Sofia Maldonado’s work is informed by an urban sensibility that draws inspiration from aspects of street and popular culture.